Technological Solutions Limited (TSL) began operations in July 1996, and has since built an enviable reputation for its work in preparing organizations to deal with the practical realities of competing and exporting in the globalized business environment. In 2019 TSL expanded its operations by establishing two new companies, TSL Laboratory Services Limited (TSL LS) and TSL Consulting and Compliance Limited (TSL CC), as subsidiaries, to join the existing TSL Audit Services Limited (TASL) in the TSL group. The related TSL Certification Services International Limited (TSL CSI) was also incorporated in 2019. TSL CSI is the first, and currently, only Caribbean based operation to have been granted a licence by the Safe Quality Food Institute (SQFI) to offer SQF Certification, which it offers along with HAACP and GMP certification. Another related entity TSL Technical Services Limited (TTSL) works closely with the TSL group in the design and implementation of projects.
Led by Dr. André Gordon, the TSL group of companies offers a comprehensive range of technical services to support the productive sector in Jamaica and the Caribbean. It does this by utilising the skills of its highly competent staff to meet customer needs.
The TSL Team provides guidance in trade-related technical requirements and specializes in food safety, quality assurance, auditing, production systems design and implementation, and provides an extensive range of analytical services in the Caribbean, inclusive of shelf life analysis and consumer/product complaint evaluation. The group also provides plant and facility layout and design, new product development (over 85 commercially successful products), profit improvement, troubleshooting and consulting services.
Together with its expertise in the area of standards and standardization, these services ensure that TSL’s clients in the business of agriculture, agro-processing, food service, hospitality, exporting, manufacturing and distribution can access world-class technical services that are focussed on their specific needs and circumstances.
TSL is recognized by international regulatory bodies as experts in Food Safety and Thermal Processing. It is the only such company in the region that has HACCP systems implemented under its guidance approved by the regulatory authorities in the United States and European Union, thereby facilitating exports to these markets. TSL and its Principal have been approved by the EU-COLEACP Pesticide Initiative Programme (PIP), the Center for Development of Enterprise (CDE), the Grocery Manufacturers Association – Science Education Foundation (GMA-SEF), as well as by the FDA to conduct training on their behalf. TSL strives for excellence and to raise bar of Client expectation at all times; notably, TSL’s laboratory was the first in the Caribbean to receive ISO accreditation. It has maintained this accreditation consistently, offering internationally accepted analyses to its Clientele. Currently TSL is ISO 17025 accredited by A2LA, one of the most reputable accreditation bodies in the World.
The TSL Team has provided guidance in the implementation of GFSI-compliant food safety and quality systems (Global Gap, SQF, Dutch HACCP and BRC) to meet customers’ buyer’s requirements, as well as the regulatory requirements of the EU and the USA. These have included traceability and recall systems for many export agribusiness Enterprises in the Caribbean and other developing countries. TSL thus remains the premier technical service provider for developing country exporters looking to successfully and effectively break into and grow their business in developed country markets. All of its services are tailored to support its clients in achieving their business objectives in this regard.
Some of our Past & Current Clients…
- The Centre for Development of Enterprise
- EU-COLEACP Pesticide Initiative Programme
- The InterAmerican Development Bank
- The Caribbean Development Bank
- Yum! Brands Internation (KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell)
- Lasco Manufacturing
- NSF International
- Burger King
- Rainforest Seafoods
- Best Dressed Foods further processing facility
- Caribbean Producers (Ja.) Ltd (CPJ)
- Associated Manufacturer’s Limited (Walkerswood)
- Chief Brands
- Eastern Caribbean Group of Companies (ECGC)
- Sunshine Snacks & Charles Candy
- Half Moon Hotel
- Royal Decameron Group
- Round Hill Hotel
TSL’s Notable Achievements include
- The application of scientific research and presentation of technical information to UK, US and Canadian authorities separately, to allow the exports of ackee fruit valued at approximately US$20M per annum from Jamaica to the UK, Canada, and the USA. This involved coordinating and undertaking significant scientific research (now published) to convince the authorities that there was a scientific underpinning to the safe production of ackees for export. This process involved changing Jamaica’s regulatory regime, training processors and inspectors and successfully transforming the sector through the introduction of HACCP-based food safety systems (1999-2000).
- After the re-imposition of the import alert on ackee in the USA in 2006, additional work was done to characterize the nature of the problem and elucidate the mechanism of the rise in hypoglycin (toxin) levels. This was followed by the development and implementation of effective, science-based mitigation methods that allowed the FDA to lift the import alert again and allow exports to re-commence.
- Participated in the research and application of scientific methodology which facilitated the approval of the re-opening of the U.S.A. market to export of Jamaican cheese, and the European Union markets Jamaican seafood (conch, lobster, fish)
- TSL Undertook pioneering work on Alicyclobacillusto characterize the organism and then develop and implement effective mitigation strategies for this serious economic threat to the beverage industry in 2004. This work remains the only such published work from the Caribbean region.
- Research and development of science-based approaches to improving the production, quality and shelf life of bottled coconut water (2004-2007) which has become best practice for the bottled coconut water industry globally and is being applied by the UNFAO through its guidance document (2007) for all producer regions of the world. This work was recently been extended to cover product from throughout the Caribbean and is facilitating a renewal in the sector and increased intra-regional trade.
TSL is also the proud recipient of several awards over the years, including:
- the Jamaica Exporters’ Association (JEA) Export Service Champion in 2002, 2004 and 2005
- being selected by exporters as the company providing the best technical support to exporters in 2004 and 2006
- Special mention in the 2013 Gleaner Honour Awards
- the Gleaner Honour Award for Science and Technology in 2015
- the JMEA Champion Exporter Services Award in 2019
- the JMEA Best Support Service Provider Award in 2019